Function:

I am a visual artist and woodworker creating functional and character filled furniture and accessories using the many techniques I have accumulated over the years. I received my BFA in 1998 and have since done fine art, finish carpentry, cabinet installation, and faux finishing. I have been doing original furniture design and custom woodwork since 2010.
My goal and purpose is to combine these elements and skills to make functional beautiful furniture that is inviting as well as aesthetically pleasing.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tabletop Progress continued...

I let the slab sit all clamped down to the sawhorses for well over a week, nearly two, and injected all the seams with copious amounts of wood glue. There was same twisting and racking as they dried all the way out so now I have to address the glue blobs on the end. I decided the easiest and quickest way would be to square up and trim at least a quarter inch off each end. 

Then I resand with 150 grit to make sure the grain in the top is open and not sealed with glue.

Then I bring it back inside and hit it with a coat of whitewash.

After that is dry I hit it with a second coat. Meow I will let this dry overnight and the next step is a coat of polyurethane to lock the whitewash in so I can do my dark glazing over it, and then wipe it back so it only stays in the low spots.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment