Function:

I am a visual artist and woodworker creating functional and character filled furniture and accessories using the many techniques I have accumulated over the years. I received my BFA in 1998 and have since done fine art, finish carpentry, cabinet installation, and faux finishing. I have been doing original furniture design and custom woodwork since 2010.
My goal and purpose is to combine these elements and skills to make functional beautiful furniture that is inviting as well as aesthetically pleasing.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Joining the table legs and the slab

So the first step of this is to predetermine the location of the leg mounts, I want to seal the bottom, but I'd like to keep the positions where the legs meet the table free from urethane so I can get a really good glue contact.

I think this layout works, kind of have to balance out the profiles since they are all unique.

Just taping off the leg locations, then will hit it with some sealer.

Brought it inside, mainly because once the legs are on, I won't be able to lift it or move it by myself.

I start with drilling the holes for the legs, starting with a small pilot hole and then working my way up to 1/2 inch.

I transfer the pattern to the slab and repeat the process.

I did a dry fit and then glue them all up and hammer into place. Each leg has a different profile, so they are all different.

Ready for the hammer.

I check each one for square to the slab, and add a screw here and there where it needs it.

Two down, two to go...

Ok, I got them all in place. I'm gonna flip her over and take a few quick photos and then put it upside down again and leave it clamped up overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment