Function:

I am a visual artist and woodworker creating functional and character filled furniture and accessories using the many techniques I have accumulated over the years. I received my BFA in 1998 and have since done fine art, finish carpentry, cabinet installation, and faux finishing. I have been doing original furniture design and custom woodwork since 2010.
My goal and purpose is to combine these elements and skills to make functional beautiful furniture that is inviting as well as aesthetically pleasing.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Let's go a-driftwooding!

Pulled this Walnut stump out of the drink yesterday, still pretty waterlogged. A new batch of driftwood floated in over the last few days. Trying to get these to a dry location so they can air out.

This other chunk of Walnut I just found this morning, it's way wet. Took everything I had to pull it above the high tide line.


I'm going to leave the one on the dolly here, and wrastle the stump back to my 240.

1/4 rainbow...

I had made it about 200 yards from the river at this point, over the roughest terrain, sweating holiday calories from every pore. I had to take several 10 minute breaks getting this thing back to the car. Took me two hours just to retrieve this stump.

3 comments:

  1. And people act like this wood is free! Nothing is free, I'm here to tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul: I've had you as a friend for awhile and never knew it was you. Very cool stuff. I make mirror frames out of slab wood and am beginning to make live edge furniture. You're right, this stuff is alot of work to get prepared. How do you dry it out if it was submerged? Outdoors or indoors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do outdoors if you have the time, or can organize far enough in advance. Takes a few months for the wood to dry back out. If you want to go a more accelerated route, next to a wood burning stove is optimal. Get a nice hot fire going for a few days in a row and the inner moisture will dissipate rapidly, due to the stove being such a dry, hot source of heat.
    It's funny, out of the old Cedar's crowd, four of us(that I know of) are now furniture makers in various locations. It really is a small world.

    ReplyDelete