Function:

I am a visual artist and woodworker creating functional and character filled furniture and accessories using the many techniques I have accumulated over the years. I received my BFA in 1998 and have since done fine art, finish carpentry, cabinet installation, and faux finishing. I have been doing original furniture design and custom woodwork since 2010.
My goal and purpose is to combine these elements and skills to make functional beautiful furniture that is inviting as well as aesthetically pleasing.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reclamation is a sweepin' the nation!

I feel as if I need to take advantage of the copious amounts of driftwood that just came in, combined with the decent weather, looks like I'll be getting a workout today!

Just piles of this stuff! I'm being picky this year, as I now know what works, and what's a waste of my time.

I found a true 2x12 of doug fir yesterday, was hoping to find 2 more so that I can make a new coffee table. 


This is about as close as I can get in a car., been hopping the fence on which route of approach works better. This one is longer but the terrain is easier.



The final stretch of trail to the river, the two pieces I want are about a half mile maybe down river.

Almost there!

Here they are, I just pulled these two out of the water this morning, so they are soaked and heavy. I brought a hammer and my leatherman so I can separate them from each other. Doing one at a time is still hard and awkward.

Freight!

These photos are superfluous to the driftwood part, but gives some idea of the size of the Willamette river, and maybe some clue as to where this stuff comes from.


People often ask me how I retrieve these pieces, I generally point to my back.

Two down, one to go!

Pulling them up the road on a mechanics dolly.

Got them back home, stacked to dry. Should take at least a few weeks.

Plate full of protein for me. Classic black bean and beef burritos with cheese and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment